Thursday, February 24, 2011

Javelin Words

I would my poems
Be like javelins hurled
Up beyond this clouded vale
As monks in ancient times
Solitary in the desert
Sent short prayers into the skies
Vigilant against the numbing attacks
The dark underworld
And the heaviness of mortality.

Artists are accused of melancholy
I recognize the label
While protesting that clouds can
Lie heavy on the mountains too
Blessed are they who mourn
The Master spoke to the crowds one day.

If I do not bend beneath
Time's overwhelming wait
How can I be
Like stars that shine brightly
Across the heavenly orb.

I would my poems
Be a song of praise
Silence
The musical setting
Memory
The faint cry
A life lived in awareness
A spirit that can dance
And a heart that understands
Words that are forever the
Messengers with winged thrust.

2 comments:

  1. I think this is one of your best...I recognize the sentiments expressed very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time's overwhelming wait - great turn of a phrase!

    ReplyDelete